Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

6.6.07

Heuchera Sanguinea 'Snow Angel'

Last year I planted Heuchera 'Snow Angel' because I thought I had gone overboard with the dark colored varieties. I thought a little leaf variegation never hurt a garden so I bought two of these at the Home Depot garden center when they went on sale. Only one survived the Chicago winter and I'm not sure if it's because of an incident with a dog or because I didn't plant it deep enough and it died because of frost heaving.

  Heuchera Sanguinea 'Snow Angel'


It's still a small plant and it probably won't be until it's third year of growing in my urban garden that I'll see it grow to it's full height of 12'' but in the meantime I am enjoying the display of flowers it has put on thus far. It's been blooming for the better part of the month and has attracted a lot of insects have been attracted to the flowers, some flies I've never seen before but also a number of bumble bees. I wasn't expecting much in the way of blooms but I have been impressed with the amount of blooms and how long they have lasted.

Right now I have my eye on Heuchera 'Lime Ricky' at the garden center but there's something about the color and the thin leaves that make them look less robust than the others being offered for sale. I'd hate to buy it and have it not survive the winter.

8 comments:

  1. I do love the delicate flowers; I hope you give the Lime Ricky a chance...maybe plunge it in a pot so you can lift and protect it in the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice flowers and I like the variegated leaves. I should look for this plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ruth,

    That is a very good idea. I'll have to keep it in mind.

    Ki,

    I am surprised at how much I like the variegation because I'm not a fan of variegated plants in the garden, especially if the variegation isn't in a pattern. Does that make sense?

    I have one more Heuchera that is about to bloom and I'll post that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours looks so pretty... I was similarly seduced but I have been having trouble figuring out where to put it in the garden. (Not conditions wise, but in terms of design.)

    This may be why I've always been not a fan of variegation myself, or it may just be a tough one to work in. Any suggestions for me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. BSG,

    You're asking the wrong person. There is no rhyme or reason in where the colors go in my garden. But I will tell you that I used these to break up the really dark row of Heucheras I already had planted. I put one on each end sort of to start and end the border. But unfortunately one died so I only have the oddball at the end.

    Keep me updated with where you end up placing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah... :) Funny that you put the heucheras together, though, because I found that I really like all of my orange-y leaf ones (marmalade, amber waves, peach flambe) next to darker purple heucheras or other purple-leaf stuff. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one putting these all together!

    Too bad I'm not closer to Chicago, or I think that my 'Snow Angel' would be yours to replace the one you lost. (I like it, but I'm really that flabbergasted on where to put it!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I'm glad I'm not the only one mixing them too :) I'm not a big fan of the large rows of the same color Heucheras. I like Purple Palace as much as the next gardener but I can only stand to look at an uninterrupted row of them in someone else's garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you like the looks of 'Lime Rickey', maybe you could try 'Dolce Key Lime Pie'. I have that one and it handles our zone 5 winters just fine.

    My 'Snow Angel' is small as well, and I think maybe it will always be on the small side, compared to the other heucheras.

    I planted my heucheras all together, in two different groupings, but tried to keep like colors alternated with contrasting ones.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.