Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

4.9.07

When I Collect Candy Lily Seeds

All of my candy lilies have finished blooming and seeds have started to ripen on the stems of my plants. Two years from now my garden will be filled with these beautiful flowers. Not only did this perennial provide me with interesting flowers during the growing season-but watching the seed development has been just as interesting and informative.



Since this was the first year the candy lilies bloomed in my garden I was a little surprised at the rate seed pods ripened from plant to plant. If you look at the image on the left you can see seeds that are still green even as the seed pod has started to split.

My confusion stemmed from the fact that I'd only ever seen black candy lily seeds and when mine didn't appear to be black as the pods split I thought maybe something had gone terribly wrong. I left the seeds on the plants even after the pods opened up completely hoping that they'd turn the familiar black color on their own. About a week later the seeds did in fact ripen to the black color you see above.

I'm surprised at how strongly the seeds are fixed to the pods because even with rain, wind and the occasional person brushing against them they didn't fall off. Yesterday I noticed a new batch of seed pods had begun to split and the seeds were already the shiny black color you see in the image above. I guess the first batch of seeds this season was a little eager to get underway.

Here's a garden video I made of me showing how to collect Candy Lily seeds in my garden.

7 comments:

  1. Now this makes me even more determined to try blackberry lily next year, and if I get that through, then have a go at candy lily. The seeds are just as attractive as the flower, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jodi,

    You know I was just thinking about seeds today and I'm starting to think I'm more of a seed grower than gardener. I find myself getting more excited about getting plants to produce seeds than I do about getting them to bloom.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. these pictures are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going through some of your old posts and found this.

    Candy Lilies are one of my favorites. Never know what the flower colors will turn out like but I did know everyone would be special.

    Couple of pics of them here:
    candy lily

    ReplyDelete
  5. John,

    Your flowers are great. I like the second to the last one. The dark purple one is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nguyen3:18 AM

    Do you have any candy lilies seeds available now?
    If so, could you please give me some or are you interested in exchanging them with my seeds ? I have saved some seeds from the plants I grew.I like this tree but I don't know where to find it in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nguyen,

    Sorry, I don't have any candy lily seeds at the moment. Check back in the fall.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Like This Blog?

If you like this blog please subscribe via Email. No Spam, I promise, just the latest posts Emailed to you.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner