Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

13.2.07

I Did It. I Hacked My Blogger Template!

Yesterday afternoon I had a bit of an epiphany. In the last entry to this blog I mentioned coming across Annie's blog and my desire to have a 3 column template but being afraid to go ahead. She directed me to an already hacked template and I tried it but there was something wrong with the links in that template. So I read Annie's blog and some others and managed to add the third column myself. I'm very pleased with my results.



I think the third column will be very useful because I want to keep adding gardening related links here for people who stumble upon my blog. My blog will be best viewed in FireFox with JavaScript enabled because I'm going to be displaying plant photos that will rotate to show what is currently blooming, photos of seeds and garden stuff around Chicago.

After reading so many blogs about hacking Blogger I'm glad I never jumped ship because the new blogger is such a wonderful and easy publishing tool and the things people are doing with their blogs are nothing short of amazing to me.

The next step I'm probably going to take is figuring out how to make the columns fluid to expand to fit larger screens. Oh, how I love Blogger.

2 comments:

  1. Reading about the process is very interesting, Mr Brown Thumb, and the end result is darned impressive!

    And thanks for the link to Annie in Chicago... her blogs look like a good place to go for both fun with food and blog advice.

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Annie in Austin,

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting. It's pretty fun to see the things you can do with blogger and how you can adapt your template.

    I just need to figure out how to make one more change and I will make this template available to other garden bloggers who want a three template design through a Creative Commons License of attribution.

    Enjoy Annie's blog it's got some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.