Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

6.2.07

"What Do You Want From Me..."

Just over a year ago I was given this Haworthia by a GW member by the name of Cactus Cathy in a trade. Since that time this little pup has become kind of a sore point for me.

The reason being is that the darn thing won't grow! It won't grow but it won't die either. I've spent a year trying to persuade it to grow some roots and it's done nothing. I've tried water, sunlight, fertilizer, rooting hormone and everything I could think of and yet it's sat there dormant refusing to grow or do much for the past year.
About a month I decided I'd leave it completely alone and set it in a corner of my plant shelf half hoping it would just die on me and then it started to send up that long shoot you see in the picture. I've never seen a Haworthia flower in person but I think it's trying to flower now. It has had the same tiny roots trying to grow since I got it. I really like Haworthias and I was glad to get this little pup from Cathy but I'm at a loss of what to do with it other than let it do it's thing.

If you'd like to get a white background in your images I described how I'm doing it in this blog entry of this blog.

...blood?

4 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. A friend once sent me a Schefflera. I had it in the house because I knew it wouldn't survive in the greenhouse but unfortunately someone moved it into there because 'it was in the way'. When I woke up and found out, the poor thing flopped over. I kept hearing, "It was only in there for fifteen minutes! I swear!" but the poor thing never recovered. For a year and a half, it looked like a stick. It was alive... but it never grew. It never grew any leaves or grew taller but it was still green and alive. I eventually threw it away because I was just tired of looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah plants that don't move one way or the other are really frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:39 PM

    I was having a similar problem with a haworthia cymbyformis and an Alöe hybrid(descoingsii x Haworthioides). So I changed the soil for pure peat moss and inmediatly they star to root, I was exeptic because peat keeps moist for long periods but Now they look better so I think a aireation of the substract is key. I had also read that haworthias love coconut coir but I haven't tried yet. Be carefull other kinds of haworthias rot easyly and prefer a mineral substract instead of organics soils. Also the size of the pot should be acording to the size of the plant so it keeps moist snd dryes more efficiently.

    I'm not an expert or anything like that, to be honest I recently get involved with haworthias but in my little experience this are good points to considerate:

    1)Subtrack: Should keep moist but not be waterlogged, good aireation is provided by not to small size of grit, sand or peat. You can use perlite, vermiculite, canadian sphagnum peat moss, or equilibrated mixes of them to me make the susbstrac more light and permeable.

    2)Light. Morning sunlight and afternoun shade.

    3)Pot. Size, shape and material of the pot are some points to considerate to andjust the right substrate.

    Hope this hels, if it not at leat I try.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:42 PM

    Haworthias usually flower from between leaves not at the tip, that look like a plant reaching for more light. Try more sun, I move mine into the sun until they start to get that red/brown color. I use 1/4 forest compost potting soil, 1/4 coir, and 1/2 perlite and/or turface for all my succulents, haven't lost a plant since i switched to this.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.