I took advantage of a relatively sunny day today to clean up the garden a little. I was amazed at how the mind wanders and the things that occur to you when you're out in the garden with only your thoughts. I started to remember the photos that didn't get posted to this garden blog, all of the seeds that I never got around to sowing in the garden this year, the plants that didn't get propagated and the experiences I've had over the past two years in (or because of) the garden. Some of the things I was thinking about are universal to all gardeners and gardens but I can't help but think that some of them can only happen in an urban garden or to an urban gardener.
You know you're an urban gardener when;
1. Instead of weeding you spend most of the time in the garden picking up fliers for chiropractors, Domino's Pizza and workman's comp lawyers.
2. Buying cheap seeds at Walgreens requires body armor.
3. You can water your entire garden with the Go, Diego Go! water sprinkler you bought for your nephew.
4. You're afraid to step into your garden at night because you can hear the rats rustling through the columbines and daylilies.
5. You see a lady in a burka walking off with the purple coneflower plant she pulled out of your garden but you don't go after her because the Baptist missionaries stop you to invite you to church the next day.
6. You get offended when your mailman ask you if you're growing corn.
7. A "temporary companion" is your garden coach.
8. It looks like you mulch with potato chip bags and candy bar wrappers.
9. You buy "garden art" at the dollar store and it still gets stolen.
10. The police mistake your indoor plants for a marijuana farm .
if you have your own examples feel free to add them in the comments.