Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

5.6.12

Allium christophii Star of Persia

I've planted several alliums in my garden, but I haven't added any new ornamental onion bulbs in a few years. This spring when I went into the garden to photograph another plant I was met with an allium I didn't plant. The mystery bloom belongs to Allium christophii, commonly known as Star of Persia.

Allium christophii


The last allium added to the garden some four years ago now was a 'Mt. Everest' which bloomed nicely, but now seems to have decided not to return. I have several allium 'Purple Sensation' bulbs scattered in the garden, and at one point had an A. schubertii. 

Allium christophii Star of Persia

I'm not sure how these two Allium christophii bulbs ended up growing in my garden. I have been known to collect seeds from plants and direct sowing them in the garden and then forgetting about them. That's probably what happened here, but who knows. The amethyst color of each of the blooms is wonderful as is the metallic sheen on each of the petals.

The flowers on the bulbs are spent and each green sphere you see is currently swelling as seeds are produced. Saving allium seeds is easy and I'll be saving each of the seeds these two produce. If you collect allium seeds: keep in mind that they are perennials and may take between 3-4 years to bloom in your garden from seed.

Collecting Allium Seeds Garden Video





If you would like to plant allium bulbs in your garden keep an eye out for clearance plants at your garden center now that the bulbs are done blooming. Otherwise, you can purchase bulbs in the fall from your local garden center or favorite garden bulb catalog.

Got a favorite allium in your garden?


13 comments:

  1. This one is on my list for the fall!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you wish for them hard enough, maybe they'll appear all on their own in the garden like mine did. :0)

      Delete
  2. In my old garden I planted A. christophii and A. 'Purple Sensation' by the hundreds. I also had 5 A. 'Globemaster' (quite pricy at the time) that happily multiplied into about 30 plants. Alliums are so great on the east coast to bridge the (short) spring and summer gardens.

    I think this fall I am going to give a few a try and see if any of them can make it here on the California coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A. 'Globemaster' is one of those I never planted because they were so pricey. Now that you mention how they multiplied I wish I had made the investment in a couple of bulb.s

      Delete
  3. I can tell you that if you plant allium sphaerocephalon you can count on lots of seedlings. I started out with a dozen and wound up with at least 50. Could have had a 100 or more if I'd left them all in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard that A. sphaerocephalon would easily colonize and that's why I've never planted them, but I admire them in gardens that are big enough to handle them. They're charming little ornamental onion blooms.

      Delete
  4. I have never seen these before, Mr GT! Very pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,

      They are very pretty. Much prettier in person than my photo was able to capture. That sheen of the petals is fantastic in the sun.

      Delete
  5. Don't you just love surprises like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure do. I love surprises that save money :0)

      Delete
  6. I've just return from visiting my friend in Toronto abd brought back 2 bulbs of Allium. Do you think they can thrive in the Tropics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      You know...I'm not sure. They would need a cooling period before they could bloom every year. But I'd be interested in learning what ends up happening with your bulbs.

      Delete
  7. http://jtkdotca.blogspot.ca/2011/06/starflowers-tad-jtkca-nudistpoet.html
    are my photos of Allium christophii, at least, I think they're Allium christophii. Correct me if I'm wrong. :o) <3

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.