Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

20.3.07

Spring Flower Show On State Street

As a Chicago resident (and former Field's employee) I was upset at losing Marshall Field's department stores when they were purchased by Macy's and renamed. I believe I made a promise that I would never step foot inside the store and that I would never purchase anything there. I rolled my eyes at every public relations move they made to make the transition as painless as possible for us. But I don't think I can hold out much longer, as a matter of fact I may have to break my boycott of Macy's soon.


Macy's is bringing back the Spring Flower Show to the legendary State Street store. The last time this event was held there was back in 2002, this years theme centers around Africa.


"The African theme was inspired by Macy's “Path to Peace” project, in which Macy's offers exquisite handmade peace baskets made by 2,000 women genocide survivors in Rwanda (available at Macy's on State Street and at macys.com). The fresh flower show will occupy the 1st floor on the State Street side of the store and one corner window. "

This may be a good opportunity for plant lovers to get up close to some plants that may not have seen before. On one of the morning news shows today I caught a glimpse of some of the flowers that will be on display and I don't think I'll be able to resist making the trip to see the flowers on display. The show will run from March 21st to April 7th and admission is free. The State Street store is easily reached by many of Chicago's bus and train lines.


Update: Macy's Flower Show post for 2011

Macy's Flower Show 2011 Preview. My photo gallery for Chicago Garden with pictures from the media preview of the 2011 show. The theme is "Towers of Flowers".

Macy's Flower Show Bromeliads & Succulents. My post here on this blog about the cacti & succulent garden display and the bromeliads featured in the show.

2 comments:

  1. At least they kept your signature store. The JL Hudson building was not so lucky....

    http://www.controlled-demolition.com/default.asp?reqLocId=7&reqItemId=20030225133807

    I remember going down to their amazing Christmas villages every year with my grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how sad. That was one great looking building. I think a lot of people were initially worried they'd do something like that to the State Street store but given it's history I didn't think they'd be so dumb. I guess we lucked out. It must have hurt seeing so many of your memories come down like that.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.