Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

5.1.12

The Real Gardens of Downton Abbey

Back in October You Grow Girl posted about some issues of Garden News a friend had brought her after a recent visit to England. I commented on the post after visiting the link to GardenNews, a weekly newspaper about gardening, that I wished I was in England because the next issues were about “The Real Gardens of Downton Abbey,” and being a superfan of the show I was really interested in reading them. The next day I awoke to an Email. It was Lindsey Holmes, Editorial Assistant at Bauer Media, which publishes Garden News, asking for my address so she could send me the issues.

The Real Gardens of Downton Abbey


Within a few days both of the issues were in my mailbox and were as good as I was hoping they would be. It was interesting to read about the gardens I just knew where there, even if we don't see them during filming. Downton Abbey is filmed in Highclere Castle in Berkshire. The current Lady Carnarvon is in the process of creating gardens that are historically accurate to Highclere, which was designed by Charles Barry, who also designed the House of Parliament at the same time.

Lady Carnarvon and the 8th Earl of Carnarvon took over Highclere 10 years ago. An avid gardener, Lady Carnarvon is eager to turn the gardens into a destination for gardeners, regardless of the castle's connection to Downton Abbey.

The castle sits on 1,000 acres of parkland that was originally designed by Capability Brown at the end of the 18th century. A new arboretum, borders and 15,000 bulbs have been planted by Lord Carnarvon. According to Jim Carter, who plays the butler, is an avid gardeners but says the gardens are out of bounds when Downton Abbey is being filmed. Although, there are hours and tour dates so that people can tour the gardens.

Aside from the parkland and arboretum, the gardens are split into two distinct parts, The Monk's Garden and The Secret Garden.


Lady Carnarvon, who is interviewed for the article, comes across as someone who values tradition and restoring trees and plants that would've been planted when originally landscaped. There are no vegetables grown there, but fruit trees like peaches, nectarines, medlar, and quince trees are grown in the glasshouse.

In the era that Downton Abbey takes place a shift in gardening had occurred that did away with the garish Victorian bedding and mass borders. The preferred landscaping style took advantage of herbaceous borders of shrubs and used perennials and annuals to provide a more relaxed year-round interest in the garden.

Technological and scientific innovations lead to understanding that diseases like potato blight were caused by a fungus. Improvements in greenhouse technology and boiler designs enabled fruit and vegetable production to occur year-round. The artificial fertilizer industry hadn't yet developed for these Edwardian gardeners, but the gardeners at Downton Abbey would've followed a strict fertilizer regiment that used bird droppings, known as guano, from South America. These advances lead to an explosion in the number of mail order gardening companies that supplied seeds, garden tools, equipment and garden furniture.

Besides a tour of the gardens the article also gave some tips on how to achieve the style of the era, but I was particularly interested in the use of houseplants, which the article didn’t cover. So, one week while I rewatched season one of Downton Abbey I made sure to take note of the use of plants indoors. The plants used in the show aren’t much home to write about, most of them are the plants that what is currently in fashion at big box stores. Sansevieria (snake plant, mother-in-law’s tongue), assorted ferns, palms, and maybe a clivia or two. The weight of providing color and interest indoors is carried by cut flowers and a few potted annuals. What I found interesting while playing houseplant bingo was that most of the plants are placed in what I would think to be areas that are too dark for their long-term care. The brightest areas of the house, that we see on television, seem devoid of living plants altogether.

About Garden News
Garden News is a fantastic gardening publication. I wish we had a weekly newspaper in America devoted to gardening. The garden advice is practical and informative without being underestimating the reader's intelligence. The issues I own cover everything imaginable under the category of gardening. From bulbs to giant vegetables. I'm amazed at just how much information and photographs they are able to pack into it. If American gardening magazines were relied less on trends, outdoor rooms and style maybe I'd read more of them.

Downton Abbey season 2 premiers this weekend on PBS stations in America? Are you a fan?

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reference, had never heard of this show. I agree, our newspapers are even devoid of gardening columns except on the weekend.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read garden news too, it is far superior to our glossy gardening magazines as like you say it avoids trends and appreciates that whilst we all love to learn something not all readers are complete beginners! Glad you've enjoyed downtown too - have you seen e Christmas episode yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Gatsbys Gardens, No prob. Maybe I just fetishize the Brits too much, but I think they're the only culture that does gardening right. A someone who has published a couple of articles in the newspaper I'm grateful for even the weekend coverage. ;0)

    @FreeRangegirl, Garden News also has a lot less of a condescending tone about the gardens of real people. In one of the issues sent to me they feature a homeowners garden that in American publications would be ridiculed as a "crime against horticulture," but they actually praise it. I mean, the style of the garden and all the color aren't exactly my taste, but I found it charming.

    I didn't know there was a Christmas special!!!! You got me curious and I made the mistake of Googling and learned something I wish I hadn't since I haven't seen this year's season yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks for this great story about the Downton Abbey "real garden!" I've shared it with all by PBS fans. Wish I could visit myself, but in the meantime, thanks for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't watched it yet, but you, and this: http://www.alternet.org/culture/153669/why_%22downton_abbey%22_is_one_of_the_best_new_shows_on_tv have convinced me to give it a go. Looking forward to checking out the gardens and seeing the season two kickoff tonight!

    I love PBS. I watch little TV, but most of what I watch is there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mr. BrownThumb! I just finished posting on our Master Gardener website this evening. Iowa Gardens are wonderful, too! the MG 2012 calendar highlights twelve gardens from around the state, but there are a complete page of them in the back. I hope to visit as many as possible this summer!!! (You're invited to come out!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, I meant to mention that this post was very interesting, but that I'd never heard of these gardens. Thanks! I'll see if I can't learn a little more about Downton Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing! My mother loves gardening (as do I) and she loves Downtown Abbey. I shared the link with her and she posted a reference to you: http://erikasfreshflowers.blogspot.com/ .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've also been attempting to identify the houseplants in Downton Abbey. I believe I noticed a begonia in the Christmas special. Any id's on the flowering indoor plants? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Downton Abbey is the best programme ever! A wonderful portrayal of life in the early 1900's. If you have not seen it before then I would suggest that you do! The gardens and the home are also incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband and I just starting watching it this season. I have not checked if you can get last season online still. It is really a good program. We thoroughly enjoyed it. The gardens look absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's my kind of newspaper also :-D It's a paper good for gardeners as well as gardening products suppliers. And at the end, everyone benefits from the greeneries that we grow ;-) Over here, we don't have such paper either. But thankfully, here, one newspaper has a column or two on gardening in one of their weekly pull outs, which I contribute articles to also. I hope someone will approach you to start a column to begin with. You certainly have lots and lots of valuable gardening experiences to share.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:47 PM

    I LOVE Downton Abbey! Rarely do we get such luscious costumes and sets, a plot you can't predict and deliciously witty dialogue. Right now, you can catch up on the first season on the Masterpiece Classic website, with few commercial interruptions I might add, and record the second season.

    How nice to have a weekly gardening newspaper. Obviously, not enough money is being spent by gardeners in this country to demand this. Is that why the "G" went out of HGTV and it became the Real Estate channel? The HGTV network producers sure jumped on that income stream.

    Speaking of HGTV, Erica Glasener's 'A Gardener's Diary' is now on Hulu, 5 episodes at a time.

    Tonight, it's me at 8pm, watching Downton!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.